I researched and tested over 50 free VPNs to find the best free VPN Australia. Just few of the free VPN versions provide an Australian IP address, and far too many possibly collect and sell user data.
Fortunately, there are 6 free VPNs for Australia that offer adequate security, anonymity, and prevent your browser traffic from being revealed (but only one can also easily evade blocks). Furthermore, the VPNs on my list all include a large network of servers, allowing you to alter your location to the United States or many other countries.
ExpressVPN gets my recommendation because of its strong encryption, 3,000+ servers worldwide, including Melbourne, Sydney, Perth & Brisbane, plus limitless bandwidth. You can test it risk-free for 30 days and request a refund if you are not happy.
1. Atlas VPN – Big Server Network for Australia VPN Free
- Many servers in 31 countries, including Australia, provide super-fast speeds for continuous streaming, gaming, surfing, and torrenting
- There 10 GB of monthly bandwidth on a free plan
- Great 3-years deals accompanied with 30-day refund guarantee
- High level of privacy encryption, a kill switch, and an ad/malware blocker ensure the safety of your device and personal data
- Compatible with Netflix AU, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Binge, YouTube TV, Hulu and other services
- Compatible with macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Linux, routers, and other operating systems
- Unlimited devices
Atlas VPN has one of the most extensive server networks, with locations in Sydney and Melbourne. This is especially useful if you're on vacation or moving overseas but still wish to access websites in Australia. I tried it out on its Melbourne server and had no trouble streaming Secret City on Netflix Australia. When I used its Miami server to watch Netflix US and HBO Max, it worked just as well. Your favourite material will always be available to you.
Also, Atlas VPN offers great deal for their 3-years plan making the monthly price drop to 1,9 AUD/Month, making it one pf the most cheapest VPN services on the market. And of course Atlas VPN offers 30-day money back guarantee.
You can try Atlas VPN‘s full-featured service for free up to 10gb monthly. After 26 days of testing, I demanded a refund via live chat. All that I had to do was respond to a few questions about my experience. The agent accepted my return in less than three minutes. Within three days, the money was restored to my account.
2. ProtonVPN — Free VPN Australia Unlimited Data but Australian Server Is Subscription Only
- A limited number of technological equipment are compatible with ProtonVPN
- Unlimited data
- Servers in 50 countries, including the Netherlands, the United States, and Japan, to access more content
- The Smart Secure Core feature enhance data security and anonymity
- For maximum privacy, a zero-logs policy and protocol transparency are required
- Unblocks: Spotify, YouTube, and Kodi (inconsistently)
- Android, Mac, Windows, and Linux are all supported
- ProtonVPN offers unlimited data. This is excellent if you want to stream HD movies or access Spotify without worrying about data limits
ProtonVPN is free VPN provides only 3 server locations: the Netherlands, the United States, and Japan, but no Australian servers. I chose to test the US servers and managed to create a steady and reliable connection, which is fantastic given the unlimited data provided.
Regarding data security and personal privacy, ProtonVPN has a clever feature called Secure Core. It avoids servers in high-risk regions, making your connection less prone to cyberattacks and almost impossible to track.
ProtonVPN does not store logs and is very transparent about their procedures, so you can be confident that your surfing data and information will stay private and secure from the government and third parties. The VPN is based in Switzerland, outside of the 5, 9 and 14 Eyes Alliance. As a result, you'll be safe from inquisitive eyes.
The free subscription of ProtonVPN does not unblock Netflix or other famous streaming services.
3. Cyberghost – Huge Server Network for Accessing Global Content
- 7,260 servers in 90 locations, including two in Australia, provide super-fast speeds for continuous streaming, gaming, surfing, and torrenting.
- There is a 24-hour free trial period accompanied by a 45-day refund guarantee.
- Armed services encryption, a kill switch, and an ad/malware blocker ensure the safety of your device and personal data.
- Compatible with Netflix AU, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Binge, YouTube TV, Hulu and other services.
- Compatible with macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Linux, routers, and other operating systems.
Cyberghost has one of the most extensive server networks, with locations in Sydney and Melbourne. This is especially useful if you're on vacation or moving overseas but still wish to access Australian websites. I tried it out on its Melbourne server and had no trouble streaming Secret City on Netflix Australia. When I used its Miami server to watch Netflix US and HBO Max, it worked just as well. Your favourite material will always be available to you.
It safeguards your privacy by using NoSpy servers and adhering to a strict no-logs policy. The NoSpy servers are hosted in Romania, the same country where CyberGhost is based. These are only accessible to Cyberghost staff. Because Romania is outside the authority of the 5, 9, and 14 Eyes, your traffic is protected from third-party intrusion and surveillance. You will not be open to public view or cybercriminals.
It also gives you the option of getting a reserved IP address, which is useful if you'll be utilising an Australian IP address frequently. Dedicated IP addresses increase performance because you will be using the server exclusively rather than sharing it with others. You may easily obtain this using the Cyberghost app. You won't have to think about overloaded servers this way.
The one tiny disadvantage I discovered is that Cyberghost does not always work in nations with severe restrictions. This includes the UAE, China, North Korea, and countries in the Middle East. This may or may not affect you depending on your trip or relocating plans.
You can try Cyberghost's full-featured VPN service for free for 24 hours. If you require additional time, it also provides a risk-free 45-day money-back policy. After 26 days of testing, I demanded a refund via live chat. All that I had to do was respond to a few questions about my experience. The agent accepted my return in less than three minutes. Within three days, the money was restored to my account.
4. ExpressVPN — Australian Servers & Thousands More Around the Globe
- Lightning-fast speeds for buffer-free streaming of domestic and international content
- Choose from 3,000 servers in 90 countries to obtain an Australian IP address
- Unrestricted bandwidth for streaming Binge, Kayo Sports, 10 All Access, and Netflix, among other services
- Strict no-logs policy and DNS leak protection ensure the security of your data when using public WiFi
- 5 concurrent device connections
- Money-back guarantee of 30 days
- Stan, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Kayo sports, and ten All Access services are unblocked
- Compatible with the majority of popular devices and operating systems, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and Apple TV, among others
ExpressVPN guarantees consistently fast connection connections. I put this to the test by accessing to its Perth and Sydney servers. My average speed was 50 Mbps (HD streaming requires only 5 Mbps), so you can play Stan, Kayo Sports, 10 All Access, and Netflix without buffering – no matter where you are.
While it is not free, it is supported by a money-back guarantee, so you may buy it with certainty. If you are dissatisfied with the service, you have 1 month to request a refund. I decided to put the return policy to the test myself via live chat. The employee answered a few questions about client satisfaction before quickly approving my request. After only three days, I noticed that the full amount I spent had been refunded to my account.
If your ISP throttles your connection, ExpressVPN's limitless bandwidth and data allow you to torrent and file-share without slowing down. Furthermore, your downloads will be more discreet because the VPN masks your IP address, and your ISP won't be able to see what you're doing.
Through over 3,000 servers in 90 countries, it's simple to circumvent geoblocks. You'll have access to international material, including the most recent Netflix US releases, as well as other popular streaming services.
Furthermore, ExpressVPN boasts a large number of Australian server locations, including Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne. That is, you can watch Australia-specific material, such as Kayo Sports, even when you are far away from the country.
ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy, which means that no info about your surfing habits will be kept. It also provides DNS leak protection, which is a security feature that prevents your geolocation and online activity from being exposed.
Also, ExpressVPN's automated kill switch instantaneously prevents traffic leaving your device if your connection is hacked. With all of these safeguards in place, you may use public WiFi with complete confidence that your data will stay private.
ExpressVPN allows you to connect up to 5 devices at the same time. I put this to the test by using it with my tablet, phone, laptop, and Fire Stick all at the same time. My connection was always reliable, and there was no decrease in streaming rates.
Read more in Express VPN review.
5. Hotspot Shield – 1 Australian server (But Does Not Unblock Streaming Services)
- Fast enough to play online games without lagging. 500MB free each day, enough for an hour on YouTube
- Connects you to a single Australian server, allowing you to avoid geo-restrictions when going abroad
- YouTube, Spotify, and Kodi are all unblocked (inconsistently)
- To defend your online activity, use 256-bit encryption.
- Windows, Android, Mac, iOS: iPhone & 7 iPad are all supported
HotspotShield's Catapult Hydra Protocol technology provides ultra-fast speeds. This outstanding data compression technique reduces the time it takes to connect to a server, resulting in faster connection rates. When I connected to a server in the United States, my average speed was lowered by only 30%, which was scarcely apparent. As a result, you can upload enormous files without issue – as long as you don't exceed your data limit.
Hotspot Shield offers 500MB of free data each day. I played Spotify nonstop for few hours before it ran out, which is wonderful for passing the time while flying.
Although the free version only has one virtual server in the United States, it does have one in Australia for browsing local content. Although you will not be able to unblock Australian Netflix, you will be able to browse the internet freely in Australia.
The online privacy will be safeguarded by AES 256-bit encryption. If you want more security, you'll need to switch to a paid subscription.
Hotspot Shield may only be used on one gadget at a time, but it is quite easy to set up. I tried it on my iPhone and was shocked at how simple it was. If you only need a VPN for a limited period of time, you want one that is simple to use.
One big advantage of Hotspot Shield is that it is free for an indefinite period of time and provides fast speeds.
6. Windscribe – 10GB of Free Monthly Data, Australian Servers Only Available on the Paid Plan
- Good internet speeds for browsing and checking email or social media
- 10GB of free data each month to stream on Kodi and watch YouTube Servers in 60 countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, to circumvent geo-restrictions
- Stealth Mode circumvents censorship in even the most restrictive environments
- Security aspects such as no-logs policy and DNS/IPv6 leak protection are included
- YouTube and Kodi are unblocked (inconsistently)
- Windows, Android, Mac, iOS are all supported
Windscribe's overall connection speeds are excellent, especially when connected to a server in the United States or the United Kingdom. During my tests, I did notice some anomalies, but it was still enough to surf the web and stream without buffering. You may also win an extra 5GB of free data every month by tweeting a review about the firm.
Windscribe's free plan allows you to view content in over ten countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland. It does not, however, provide an Australian server. You'll need to upgrade if you want to unblock Netflix AU.
Windscribe's Stealth Mode allows you to avoid most geo-restrictions and censorship by hiding your IP and hence your online activities. You'll be able to bypass even China's and Russia's toughest firewalls this way.
Using its no-logs policy and DNS/IPv6 leak protection, Winscribe further protects your web activity and personal information. I decided to conduct several tests, and I found no DNS or IP leaks while using Windscribe VPN, which is quite beneficial while connected to public WiFi.
Winscribe's customer care, delivered by the chatbot, can answer all of your questions. If you decide to upgrade, I propose that you first try out all of its features for free for one day.
7. hide.me – Consistent Bandwidth (No Australian Servers On The Free Plan)
- A limited number of technological equipment are compatible with hide.me VPN
- A good connection speed is required for a smooth browsing experience
- Provides 10GB of free data each month for up to 3 hours of multimedia streaming
- Servers in 75 countries will be used to circumvent geo-restrictions
- The Stealth Guard feature conceals your IP address fully
- Netflix, YouTube, Hulu & HBO Max are all unblocked (inconsistently)
- Windows, Android, Mac, iPhone, and iPad are all supported
Hide.me consistently gives acceptable speeds. When I put its performance to the test, I discovered that my connections were good with nearby servers — I had a work thing in California and was linked to its US server. However, while connecting to servers located further away, the speeds were subpar.
You can view three movies on US Netflix with 10GB of free bandwidth each month. However, when attempting to unblock Netflix and HBO Max, I encountered some irregularities, so it's very much trial and error.
I was able to link to five virtual locations: the United States West, the United States East, Canada, the Netherlands, and Germany. The disadvantage is that you must upgrade in order to connect to an Australian server and view local content. But you're 100% covered by their 30-day money-back guarantee.
Its Stealth Guard function significantly improves your privacy by preventing malicious apps from revealing your info. If your internet connection is disrupted, the programme will shut down, safeguarding you from unintentional IP leaks. Your browsing history and location are kept private and concealed from your ISP.
You can only connect 10 devices to hide.me at a time, therefore if you use it on your laptop, your phone and tablet will not be secured. However, the VPN is free for an indefinite period of time and offers 24/7 customer assistance, so it may be worth a go.
What Are the Consequences of Using a Free Australian VPN?
A free VPN does not have the same features and benefits as a commercial VPN, and it does not provide the same level of protection. Free VPNs have limits, and in order to make cash, they often use one of two strategies:
Using intrusive advertisements or selling your personal information to third parties. Ads are frequently a part of the deal with free programmes and software. To avoid unpleasant surprises, please make sure you are properly educated while selecting a free VPN.
Access to features is restricted. Free VPN limits your features in order to entice you to upgrade to premium. Hotspot Shield, for example, is recognised for its fast speed and large network of servers, but only on the premium edition.
I recommend ExpressVPN for these reasons. It is a dependable VPN, and you may purchase it with confidence and get a refund within 30 days if you are dissatisfied.
Methodology of Research: How To Test VPN
I examined 51 free VPNs to discover the best ones for use both inside and outside of Australia. First, I checked their plans that had unlimited data, high speeds, and a large number of servers. My second priority was the security and safety elements they offered. The best free VPN services were then evaluated based on their access to Australian servers and the most helpful free features.
- Totally free. The Australian VPNs described in this post are either absolutely free or come with 100% real money-back guarantees that may be utilised without danger.
- Capabilities for geo unblocking. Although many VPNs provide virtual servers to circumvent geoblocks, not all have Australian servers.
- Rapid speeds. When it comes to speeds, ExpressVPN was by far the fastest, followed by Hotspot Shield. Nonetheless, free versions frequently include restrictions designed to lure you to upgrade.
- The number of servers. Only NordVPN provides you with access to a large number of Australian servers. Except for Hotspot Shield, which has one Australian location, the other VPNs on our list need you to upgrade to a premium membership in order to acquire access.
- Features for safety and security. Regardless of pricing, I looked for VPNs with great security and safety features. ExpressVPN stands out in my opinion because of its strong no-logs policy and fault-proof DNS leak protection.
Free VPN Service Australia: Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to use free VPN services in Australia?
They are less secure than the premium versions. Free VPNs frequently have limits, which may imply that they lack the same high-level encryption as commercial VPNs have. You may be better off utilising an Australia VPN free with a 1-month money-back guarantee, like ExpressVPN.
How do free VPN apps generate revenue?
Typically, free VPNs may sell your data to third-party advertisers or restrict features in order to force you to upgrade. You can prevent these problems by first attempting a premium VPN with a money-back guarantee.
Is it possible to use an Australian VPN free on both my phone and my computer?
Yes. ExpressVPN, for example, works with the majority of common operating systems, such Android and iOS. It's the most effective approach to keep your phone and other gadgets safe.
After testing 50 VPNs, I concluded that the advantages of using a free Australian VPN do not exceed the limits and potential concerns, which include a lack of security, sluggish performance, and a limited number of servers. My list of 6 free VPNs for Australia can provide you with access to a few global servers and allow you to circumvent certain geo-restrictions, which is useful when travelling. However, if you want to use a VPN on a daily basis, a premium, full-featured VPN will make your life easier.
That is why I suggest ExpressVPN. Aside from fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and access to over 3,000 servers in 90 countries, this VPN also allows you to try it risk-free for 1 month and get a refund if you don't like it.